sábado, 26 de mayo de 2007

Welcome!

I'm jumping on the blog bandwagon...but for a very specific purpose. I hope you'll check in frequently as I post about my adventures in Costa Rica this summer and next year during my dissertation fieldwork.

For those of you whom I have not kept up to date (hi! sorry!), I'm in Costa Rica until early August doing some preliminary fieldwork, then will be returning to the States for a few months to take my qualifying exams. I hope to be back in Costa Rica early next year to begin my long-term fieldwork. In a nutshell, my research will focus on the long-term effects of development-induced community displacement. I'll be working and living in Nuevo Arenal, Costa Rica, which was uprooted and relocated during the construction of a large hydroelectric dam in northern Costa Rica in the late 1970s.

I hope to keep the boring research-oriented stuff to a minimum here (unless y'all request more details), and instead regale you with tales of life as a gringa anthropologist in Ticolandia.

I'm a feedback slut, so please leave me a comment, even if just to say hi!

3 comentarios:

Unknown dijo...

Hey Gaby,
I love your blog and can't wait to hear more about your adventures in Ticolandia.
Life in Florida is busy, but I'm learning a tremendous amount about the Everglades and surviving what I'm calling "academic boot camp." However, when the trip draws to a close I won't miss the 16 hour days and eating most meals in the van. Fortunately, everyone on the trip is cool, so that makes the whole experience bearable.
I'm sorry I never got back to you about our manuscript. I ended up sleeping for only 45 minutes the night before I departed. That being said, I still would love to contribute (if possible), so please let me know if I can do anything to help.
Wish I was coming to Ticolandia this summer. I'll miss you.
Lisa

Ruth Culham dijo...

Hi Gaby -
Sounds like you have one more adventure started in good style. It's been a wild ride for both of you these past couple of years. It's so exciting so see these pictures and hear about your research. Things are busy and good here in Oregon. Bailey and Izzy send along their Hellos - you wouldn't recognize Izzy. She's turning into a real cat with a personality. Hoping that you and Forrest can make it out this way this fall - remember, I've got miles!
Love, Ruth

Yael dijo...

Hi Gaby,

This is such a great way to stay connected. Thanks for your sweet message recently. I am so excited for you - this seems like such a perfect field work experience - and a nice break from the G'ville summer. Keep the stories coming!
Boulder summer is great - have a rocking veggie garden, enjoying settling in to my new home space. Lots to catch up on one of these days.
Love you,
Yael